Two litres of water everyday may seem like a lot, but this is what we should be drinking. You can count most liquids towards your hydration, such as milk, tea, coffee and juice but nothing hydrates as well as water.
Try to work towards making the bulk of your hydration water.
You might find it difficult to start this habit, so try the following:
- Drink sparkling water and sparkling water with flavours (check the calorie count is low) and alternate with regular water to train yourself in.
- Add a no added sugar squash (check the calories count) to every other glass.
- Use ice, cold water always seems nicer!
- Drink hot water! Add a bit of cinnamon and ginger with a touch of lemon and stevia for a great nutrition boost.
- Monitor your intake – keep a litre sports bottle at work and drink one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
- Drink a large glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning – every morning (after you weigh yourself if you are recording your weight).
Don’t worry if you fall short of your intake at first, build up slowly, replacing drinks one at a time – you can still have a tea or coffee here or there.