Want to know how to pack more veg into your meals? This cottage pie is a great example of cramming as many nutrient-rich vegetables into one meal as possible.
You will need:
- 500g lean mince beef
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 8 mushrooms
- Small tin of sweetcorn
- 100g frozen peas
- 5 large potatoes
- 4 large tomatoes
- 500g pasata
Making the cottage pie
- Chop the carrots, onions, garlic and cauliflower into small chunks.
- Pan fry the onions, garlic and minced beef together until browned.
- Add the carrots and cauliflower and continue to pan fey on a low hear for about 10 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Add the peas and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and sweetcorn and leave for a further five minutes.
- Add the pasta and allow to gently simmer for a further 10 minutes. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- On the meantime, peel chop and boil your potatoes until soft.
- Add a teaspoon of low calorie spread or butter and milk and mash the potatoes.
- Transfer the meat and vegetables into a large baking dish (you may need two)
- Top with potato and bake in the oven until the potato browns slightly.
- You can add cheese before baking, but be aware of additional fats and calories.