This recipe is actually a basic lasagne featuring aubergine instead of pasta but moussakasagne has quite the ring to it, so that is what it has come to be known in our house.
This amazing meal contains lots of vegetables, low-fat minced beef and for a lower far version, skip the cheese topping and sprinkle on a little parmesan to flavour.
You will need:
- 500g low-fat mince (5%)
- One onion
- One clove of garlic
- Two mixed peppers
- Five large mushrooms
- One courgette
- 500g passata
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Chopped fresh basil
- A sprinkle of dried basil and dried oregano.
- Olive oil
- Two tbsp plain flour
- 25g low fat spread
What you need to do:
- Brown the mince in a large frying pan on moderate heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the mixed peppers, cubed courgette, and mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add the tomato puree and stir in well.
- Add the passata and stir.
- Add the dried basil and oregano.
- Leave to simmer gently on low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the freshly chopped basil right at the end, when you take the pan off the heat.
- While your bolognese is cooking, slice two large aubergines vertically. Make the slices around 5mm thick.
- In a large frying pan, add a small amount of olive oil and pan-fry the aubergine on moderate heat until softened and very slightly browned.
- Next, make a basic white sauce using 25g low fat spread with two rounded tablespoons of plain flour. Melt the butter in a small pan. Add the flour (off heat) and stir until a doughy ball develops. Next, very slowly add 300ml of low-fat milk, Make sure you blend each bit of milk in before adding the next bit so you get a smooth mix.
- Return the pan to heat and stir continuously until the white sauce thickens.
- In a large oven dish, layer the mince aubergine and white sauce up, finishing with a layer of white sauce and an optional topping of cheese.
- Place under the grill to brown the top and then serve with a fresh side salad.